Saturday, March 1, 2014

Lenten Activities for Your Family, pt. 2


Ever find yourself sighing at your kids' lack of awareness?  That seems to be the issue du jour at the moment in our house.  It's not that they are rude or disrespectful, more that they have no comprehension of how good they've got it, and how they have a responsibility to share that with others.  

So I've devised a Lenten activity that I hope will help them reach a fuller understanding of how other children live.  The printable below is a fun way for kids to donate during Lent.  You'll need to start them with some change.  My kids will be using their allowance, as well as the general family offering.  The idea is for them to count how many of each item you have in your house, then add that amount of coins to your Rice Bowl.  I will supplement this by reading them stories of children in need around the world.  My hope is that they will come to understand that other children do not live with the same privilege that they enjoy.

Click here to get my printable.  Also, I wish I could give credit to the creator of the original idea, as I've seen it in various forms all over the internet.  If anyone knows who first came up with this idea, please let me know so that I can give them recognition!

Our church participates in Rice Bowl through CRS (Catholic Relief Services.)  We always receive a packet with our bowl, so we will use this resource to read stories about people in other parts of the world during Lent.  You can also go to http://www.crsricebowl.org/ to find family resources to supplement your giving.  I hope you have a Lent filled with awareness!

No comments:

Post a Comment